The New AV Mural is Here!
Big (colorful) news! An added bright spot awaits students when they return to school. AV PTA commissioned a mural from the artist duo, DabsMyla, a husband-and-wife team known for their bright, bold, whimsical pop-art paintings and illustrations. Their work is prolific, spanning small-scale prints to massive public spaces found all around the world. We are beyond thrilled that our school is now part of their stunning portfolio! Hats off and a big thank you to PTA Art Docents, Erin Bonz and Cassandra Kaldor for heading up this project and bringing big, beautiful art to our school.
The mural is also a gift to the community because it can be seen by anyone passing by the school on the El Centro sidewalk! If you are strolling past the neighborhood, peek through the gate for a cheery view.
AV PTA Book Giveaway
By now, you should have received an email from your student’s room parent explaining AV’s Book Giveaway. In honor of Read Across America Week coming up in March, the PTA is purchasing a book for every student in every class. We understand that placing holds for popular library books can mean a long wait and and buying books can strain finances. We hope our book giveaway encourages the joy of reading–especially during these days spent at home.
We need all parents and caregivers to select the book their student would like to receive from a list of titles curated by Vroman’s and our teachers. Be sure to get your request in by 1/25/2021. If a response is not selected by the due date, a book will be selected for your student.
5th Grade Musical
South Pasadena 5th graders present, Matilda the Musical! Want to watch the performance? Donate to SPEF by January 29th to receive a link to the show. (No donation is too small!) Read more about SPEF’s annual 5th grade Musical HERE.
AV Pandemic Resource Guide
The AV Pandemic Resource Guide is chock full of useful community resources for families in need of support. Whether you are searching for a therapist, a tutor, or needing assistance with paying bills or securing affordable housing, this guide has you covered. Stay tuned…we have Resource Guides in Spanish, Korean, and Mandarin on the way. Thank you to Amy DeGaetano and the AV Equity Committee for their work in creating this helpful guide.
School Reopening Updates: TK-2nd Grade
- LATEST UPDATE: After closely reviewing the directives, receiving clarification from state officials, and reviewing legal opinions related to the directives, South Pasadena Unified School District must delay reopening for in-person instruction for general education and special education students in grades TK-2 to be compliant with the new regulations.
- Per the new guidance, elementary schools may return to in-person instruction when the county adjusted case rate is under 25 per 100,000 people for 5 consecutive days. Find the most current case rate and data tier information HERE.
- School Site Inspection successfully completed January 7, 2020.
- Families who previously chose the Distance Learning option for their students will remain in Distance Learning for the remainder of the school year, even after in-person learning resumes. Families will be notified of their assigned cohorts closer to reopening.
- AV is prepared with all necessary safety equipment (in classes and around campus) and protocols for students to return.
- AV PTA and Staff are currently working on videos outlining all the necessary safety protocols and guidelines for students/parents when they return to campus.
- At this time, there are no waivers for grades 3-5 or secondary education.
- Link to Board Approved Hybrid Model Link to the School Reopening Plans
- Watch all board meeting webcasts HERE.
- Please join us on Wednesday mornings at 9:30 am for Coffee with the Principal Zoom Link: spusd.zoom.us/j/84284875278 (ID: 84284875278)
2021-2022 Executive Board Nominations
The newly formed Nominations Committee for the 2021-2022 PTA Executive Board will meet again in January to review nominations for Executive Board positions. If you would like to submit a nomination (you may nominate yourself or others) or if you have questions about the nomination process (or questions about the PTA or Executive Board in general) please contact Nominations Committee Chair, Cindy Shin at [email protected].
AV Dance Unit: Week 6
Ms. Alison’s Dance Class is underway!
This year, the theme is: Dancing through the Decades. Each week, Ms. Alison will send out a weekly dance tutorial that will end in a virtual flash mob to the song, “Put a Little Love in Your Heart.”
Join the live Zoom Workout on Wednesday January 27th at 2:30pm:
Meeting ID: 815 0405 6987
Click for the printable alphabet chart (pictured above).
Click HERE for an adorable and fun video of Whiskers and friends demonstrating how to do each exercise in the alphabet.
AV Spirit Day: 1/29
Friday, January 29th is our next Spirit Day. The theme is “Decades Day.” Dress in the style from a past decade for your zooms that day!
Check the PTA calendar for more Spirit Days to come.
Popsicle Sales on PAUSE
The fifth grade promotion committee will be taking a break from selling popsicles in the month of December. If safety allows, we will be back with sweet frozen treats in January.
Elementary Wellness Classes
The 3 elementary schools are excited to offer Friday wellness classes to all SPUSD students. The classes will be led by Ms. Kristin Pittman, wellness coach, mindfulness educator and Marengo 5th grade teacher. The classes are optional, but a wonderful way for our students to connect with their grade level peers across the district.
Classes will begin this Friday, January 8th, at the following times:
10:00-10:30 AM for 2nd & 3rd Grade:
10:30-11:00 AM for TK, K & 1st Grade:
11:00-11:30 AM for 4th & 5th Grade:
New Contactless Supply Pickup
COVID Protocols for ALL Volunteers
Anyone volunteering at AV must complete online health screening and temp check before coming. Kid helpers will not be allowed on campus during volunteer shifts. Complete your health screening HERE.
AV Gives Back from Home
This holiday season, join us for some kid-friendly community service projects! Visit AV Gives Back to find ideas that can be done on your own time with items from around the house. Click on the link for project instructions, video demonstrations (with book readings!), and related printable activities. Don’t forget to email a pic of your completed creations to [email protected]!
[Contact [email protected] for more information.]
How to Use the Box Tops App
It just takes 2 easy steps to get started with the Box Tops App!
Step 2: Add your teachers last name (only one please) to the memo to get credit for your child’s class. Click HERE for a video tutorial.
[Register at HERE. Classes begin online, 2/1.]
[Registration for South Pasadena Little League baseball and softball EXTENDED to 2/15. ]
[South Pasadena Library Winter Virtual Children’s Programs 1/11-3/8. See the SP Library website for more details and information]
[SPEF Fundraiser: GIVE/LEARN. 1/25 – 1/30. Sign up by calling (626) 808-4031 or email [email protected]]
[2/6: Virtual Lunar New Year. Details at marengopta.org]
[2021 Bookmark Contest, 2/1 – 3/1. Visit South Pasadena Library online for more information.]
[Free meals for anyone 1-18. For more information call Food and Nutritional Services at (626) 441-5820 ext 2951 or 2950. Menu available at www.spusd.net. ]
[Connecting students to providers who treat mental health and substance use disorders. Email: [email protected]. Call: (888) 515-0595]