General PTA Meeting: WEDNESDAY 5/20
Join us virtually on May 20 at 7pm for our FINAL General PTA meeting of the school year. Business includes: discussing future changes in the upcoming school year and the important general election. Stay home, stay healthy, and tune in! (Check your email for the Zoom-link 24 hours prior to the meeting.)
On February 19, the Nominating Committee presented to those in attendance the following slate of candidates for next year’s Executive
Board. At the May 20th General Association PTA meeting, those in
attendance will vote upon next year’s Executive Board. The association
will also be voting on the following proposed changes to the Standing
Rules: (1) elevating the Website and Technology position from a
Standing Event Coordinator to a Standing Committee, which would now
serve as an appointed member of the Executive Board; (2) modifying
some of the duties of the 2nd VP of Communications and setting forth
the duties of the Website and Technology Committee; and (3) adding
four new Standing Event Coordinators (Cultural Liaison, Parent
Education, Sustainability, and Traffic).
President, Karissa Adams; Executive Vice President, Megan Gardner; 1st VP, Ways and Means, Jennifer Wang; 2nd VP – Communications, Sarah Kovatch; 3rd VP – Wish Night, Erik Gammell; 4th VP – Volunteer Coordinator, Jennifer Koca; 5th VP – Programs and Assemblies, Brian Mahler; Treasurer, Judy Asakura; Financial Secretary, Jaclyn Tolj; Recording Secretary, Patti Urzua; Auditor, Marcela Owens; Historian, Panda Korman
Teacher and Staff Appreciation Week
[Top right: Ms. MacDonald; Mrs. Ebbert; Whiskers; Mrs. Wahbe. Middle row: Mrs. Rogers; Mrs. Haines; Mrs. Gresham & Mrs. Reed; Ms. Arreola. Bottom row: Mrs. Johnson, Mrs. Ishibashi; Mrs. Clark; Mr. Thieme]
Teachers: we appreciate you more than ever now that we’ve had a taste of the hard work that you somehow make look so easy. This week, we shined a spotlight on our beloved AV teachers by showering them with artwork and thank you emails. When we all return to AV, the Staff Lounge will be ready with some wonderful new upgrades (and a special surprise for each staff member). Thank you, Heidi Mayne and Kirsten Kawaii for producing teacher staff appreciation week!
AV Spirit Days: Week 4
AV students miss their sports but they haven’t lost their team spirit. Here’s what students wore for Sports Day while learning from home this week
Just 2 more weeks of Student Council Spirit Days! Don’t forget to join your friends and come dressed up to your class meetings.
May 18: Super Hero Day
May 26: Summer Vacation / Hawaiian Day
- Kindergarten – Mrs. Yee’s Class
- 1st Grade – Mrs. Jara’s Class
- 2nd Grade – Mrs. Malach’s Class and Mr. Jehue’s Class
- 3rd Grade – Mrs. Bose’s Class
- 4th Grade – Mrs. Gresham’s Class
- 5th Grade – Mrs. Rogers’ Class
Check your inbox this week for a special email announcing individual placeholders for each grade!
Attention 5th Grade Families
The promotion committee is looking forward to the day when safety regulations allow us to gather together to properly celebrate our class of 2020 5th graders! It is a big milestone and we hope you mark the occasion with your 5th grader at home. In the meantime…
- Gaby Berk is compiling a 5th grade “End of Year Memories video.” Please email a 5-10 second video of your 5th grader thanking the AV teachers and staff, or their favorite AV memory etc… to [email protected]
by May 22 to be included in the video. Some of you have already sent in videos to her, so no need to send again! Thanks everyone!
- We are still working on a pick up date for our yearbook and t-shirt – stay tuned for details!
- Everyone should have received their yard sign! if you are missing yours, please contact [email protected]
In just a few seconds you and can feel more calm in your body with these beach-themed mindfulness techniques from Ms. Woo.
Grade-Level Google Groups and Language Groups
The PTA is trying out something new to help parents stay connected and get support from our school community. We have established email groups to help families share information and get answers to questions regarding communications from the school, PTA, and classroom teachers. We know there is only one month left of the school year, but we’re hoping to get some subscribers to help test this out so we can make adjustments for next year, if necessary. We invite all families to join their children’s grade groups. If you speak or read Korean, Chinese, or Spanish in addition to English, please also strongly consider joining those groups (see below) to lend a helping hand.
To join, visit the relevant links below and enter your email address in the pop-up form. You will need to confirm your request via the automated email you receive before your request is submitted.
- Kinder/TK: https://groups.
- 1st Grade: https://groups.google.
- 2nd Grade: https://groups.google.
- 3rd Grade: https://groups.google.
- 4th Grade: https://groups.google.
- 5th Grade: https://groups.google.
- Chinese: https://groups.
- Korean: https://groups.google.
- Spanish: https://groups.
Distance learning will continue through the end of the school year. Let’s ensure our teachers can focus on teaching and not tech support! If your child is struggling with technical difficulties, try one of these options:
- Get help from an AV parent volunteer in your child’s class: Click Here for the parent helper list. Most classrooms have at least one parent helper assigned. If your child’s does not, feel free to call another parent from the same grade or anyone else on the list!
- Get help from SPUSD tech support: Hotline number: (805) 285-2526 (8:00-3:30 starting April 6) or [email protected]
If you are unable to access the list of helpers, you may contact Megan Gardner at [email protected] or call her at (310) 409-7800.
[Elementary and intermediate summer school classes have moved online. Visit HERE for registration information.]
[High School summer school classes have moved online. Visit HERE for registration information.]